Wednesday 5 July 2017

Review: The Scorch Trials by James Dashner


I wish I could put my finger on why I am not enjoying this series. I think it's a combination of things, the writing I am finding a bit simplistic and (like the first book) I feel like this could have been half the size without losing any of the actual plot. I still don't have a clue what is going on and my brain can't conjure any rational explanation for why these trial are necessary, fingers crossed for the next book to be full of exposition because at this stage I'm just frustrated by the whole mystery. I also really dislike Thomas, well maybe not Thomas himself, but the way he is written just makes him seem so two dimensional, I know he has lost his memory but he seems to have lost his common sense and any form of human emotion as well.

My grumbling aside I did enjoy the plot of this one marginally more than the first book, I think because they had an actual destination to get to this time rather than just being lost in the worlds strangest maze. I also liked the introduction of Jorge and Brenda, do I trust them? Well I think I'd been an idiot to trust anyone in this series, I'll just have to get to the end to find out who works for WICKED and if WICKED really is good or not!

No comments:

Post a Comment