Monday 19 December 2016

Review: Seduction of a Highland Lass by Maya Banks


If you read my review of In Bed with a Highlander I'm pretty sure you can guess what I am going to say about this book. This time round the focus is on Ewan's brother Alaric and his love interest Keeley, both are much better characters than Ewan and Mairin from the first book (although they continued to feature heavily in this book as well). I did feel like Alaric and Keeley were actually in love and Keeley is easily my favourite character of the series so far. The plot was also less stupid and far fetched, although the resolution at the end could have been arrived at much earlier and halved the amount of angst and forbidden love involved.

One thing that really annoyed me throughout this book and the first book was the constant use of the words "Twas", "Twill" and "Twould", I know this is a historical romance there is no need to use these words at the beginning of every sentence to emphasise the point, it's just a lazy way of reminding your reader that they are in olden times. What would have been better is maybe a small bit of historical context or even a date at the beginning of a chapter.

Once again what really made this book disappointing was the sex, it was way too much for a historical romance (bordering on erotica at times) and it was not romantic at all. There was still the really uneven gender divide of the first book and the male characters constant need to guard their women like prisoners. I will read the final book but only because I can't leave a series unfinished, I'm going to need a bit of a break first though.

No comments:

Post a Comment